Do Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers Take Cigna Insurance?
For many, it’s unclear what their Cigna health insurance plan will cover regarding substance abuse and mental health care. Does Cigna cover rehab? Yes, it will partially cover it, is the quick response. Read on for more about Cigna’s health insurance coverage for addiction treatment and how to check which benefits apply to your particular plan.
Who is Cigna?
Cigna is a global health services company headquartered in Bloomfield, Connecticut. Cigna provides health insurance, Medicare plans, dental insurance, disability insurance, behavioral health services, and international health insurance to customers in the United States and more than 200 countries and territories.1 With a team of more than 74,000 employees, they serve more than 170 million customer relationships worldwide.
Cigna was founded in 1982 by merging the Connecticut General Life Insurance Company and the Insurance Company of North America.2 They are dedicated to enhancing the health, happiness, and peace of mind of the individuals they serve by lowering costs, establishing greater stability, and streamlining the medical treatment process.
Cigna is also committed to corporate social responsibility and sustainability. The company has set a goal to achieve carbon neutrality by 2030 by implementing several sustainability initiatives, such as reducing waste and water usage, investing in renewable energy, and promoting sustainable sourcing practices.
What is Cigna Rehab Insurance Coverage?
Cigna Rehab Insurance coverage refers to the types of addiction and mental health treatment services covered by Cigna health insurance plans. Cigna offers a range of insurance plans that cover substance abuse and mental health treatment services, including inpatient and outpatient detoxification, rehabilitation, and therapy.
It's important to note that specific coverage levels and requirements may vary based on your plan, location, and medical needs. However, Cigna's rehab insurance coverage typically includes services such as:
- Inpatient detoxification and rehabilitation programs
- Outpatient detoxification and rehabilitation programs
- Individual and group therapy sessions
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- Aftercare and follow-up support services
Cigna also offers behavioral health services, including telehealth and virtual care options, to help individuals access treatment and support remotely.
Does Cigna Cover Drug and Alcohol Rehab?
Yes, Cigna's health insurance plans typically cover drug and alcohol rehab and other substance abuse and mental health treatment services. Cigna's coverage for drug and alcohol rehab typically falls under their behavioral health services, which also include coverage for mental health conditions.
Cigna may offer coverage for different rehab programs, including medically supervised detox, residential treatment, partial hospitalization programs (PHPs), intensive outpatient programs (IOPs), and standard outpatient programs. Cigna may also offer coverage for medications used in addiction treatment, such as methadone or buprenorphine for opioid addiction or naltrexone for alcohol addiction.
Most insurance providers must provide some sort of coverage for substance abuse treatment under the Affordable Care Act (ACA).3 However, the specific details of Cigna alcohol rehab and Cigna drug rehab coverage will vary based on your plan, location, and medical needs, among other factors.
Check Your Cigna Insurance for Addiction Treatment
Our admissions coordinators will interact directly with Cigna on your behalf, removing from your shoulders the burden of figuring out if your insurance will pay for your addiction treatment.
Does Cigna Cover Mental Health Rehab?
Yes, Cigna health insurance plans usually cover mental health rehab, which includes treatment for mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia. In addition, their insurance plans usually include coverage for mental health treatment services, including inpatient and outpatient rehab, therapy, and other related services.
The following is a partial list1 of services that your Cigna mental health rehab benefits may include:
- Individual Therapy: You’ll speak with a qualified mental health specialist like a psychologist, social worker, or counselor. Treatment methods may include cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) or dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).
- Group Therapy: Meeting with a group of individuals who are working on similar mental health issues
- Inpatient Care: A patient stays in a hospital or residential treatment facility to obtain round-the-clock care and assistance for a mental health condition
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP): More structured and intensive treatment for mental health conditions than traditional outpatient therapy
- Medication Management: Costs and managed care for medications used to treat mental health conditions, such as antidepressants, antipsychotics, and mood stabilizers
- Neuropsychological Testing:2 Find out how a mental health issue affects your capacity for thought, concentration, problem-solving, or memory through evaluation(s)
- Outpatient Care: Visiting a mental health clinic or therapist's office for therapy sessions and other treatment services
- Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP): Several hours a day in a hospital or residential treatment center for mental health treatment
- Telehealth and Virtual Care: Options for mental health treatment, such as online therapy sessions or virtual support groups
- Wellness Programs: Resources to support the health and well-being of its members
Inpatient and Outpatient Rehab Centers That Take Cigna Insurance
With multiple treatment locations in several states, Virtue Recovery Center has been saving individuals from substance abuse and rebuilding families for years. The Joint Commission accredits all of our inpatient and outpatient facilities. We are also HIPAA compliant and National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers (NAATP) members.
Below you'll find links to all of the Virtue Recovery Center treatment facilities:
How Much Does Rehab Cost With Cigna Insurance?
There are four tiers from which to choose with Cigna insurance. Each includes substance use treatment. However, with Cigna rehab coverage, rehab costs can vary depending on several factors, including your plan, treatment type, provider, and other variables. Below is a general overview of Cigna’s four tiers of coverage:3
- Bronze: You are responsible for 40% of the cost of your medical care, and Cigna will pay the remaining 60%. Additionally, this tier has the lowest premiums of all the alternatives.
- Silver: With a 30% out-of-pocket payment required, the silver tier covers around 70% of your expenses. The premiums are high compared to bronze but inexpensive compared to the following two tiers.
- Gold: Only 20% of your expenses are out-of-pocket. However, to offset the out-of-pocket costs, you also have higher premiums.
- Platinum: Platinum has the highest premiums but covers practically all your medical expenses, leaving you with only a 10% out-of-pocket expense.
Cigna may cover all or part of the cost of inpatient and outpatient services and other types of treatment, such as medications and psychotherapy, which can significantly reduce your out-of-pocket expenses. In addition, some rehab centers are part of the Cigna rehab provider networks, meaning they have an agreement with the insurance company to provide services at a negotiated rate. This usually results in lower out-of-pocket costs.
However, it's necessary to remember that people with Cigna insurance could also have deductibles, co-pays, or other out-of-pocket expenses before their insurance coverage begins to pay.
The average cost of outpatient drug rehab with insurance is between $1,000 to $5,000 for a 30-day program. The typical monthly cost of inpatient rehab with insurance is $5,000 to $25,000 or more, depending on many variables.4 It's important to keep in mind that this is merely an estimate and that the final cost may differ significantly based on the particular treatment facility, the area, and other aspects.
How To Check My Cigna Insurance Coverage Levels for Rehab Treatment
Contacting your insurance provider can be challenging. You can easily verify insurance coverage by filling out our no-obligation online form. Allow one of our highly qualified staff members to contact your provider to confirm your Cigna rehab coverage levels for rehab treatment. We'll be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your policy and the next steps.
Virtue Recovery Center is in-network with most major insurance plans, and we have all the answers to the common question: "Does Cigna cover rehab?" In addition, we eliminate the difficulties and wait times associated with contacting your insurance provider. You can rest assured that any information you provide or discuss will remain confidential.
How To Get Cigna To Pay For Rehab Treatment
For Cigna to pay for rehab treatment, you will typically need to follow a few steps:
- Verify your insurance coverage: Review your insurance plan to determine the coverage specifics for rehab treatment.
- Get a professional evaluation: You must submit to a professional examination by a licensed healthcare professional to identify the best course of action. This may include a substance abuse assessment or mental health assessment.
- Choose an in-network provider: If possible, choose a rehab center part of the Cigna rehab provider network. This can lower out-of-pocket payments and guarantee that Cigna will pay more of the treatment cost.
- Obtain prior authorization: In some cases, Cigna may require prior authorization before covering certain types of rehab treatment. Your healthcare provider or Virtue Recovery Center can help with this step.
- Follow treatment plan: Once you have received approval for rehab treatment from Cigna, it's essential to follow the recommended treatment plan and attend all appointments and sessions as scheduled. You risk denial of coverage or other penalties when you fail to comply with the treatment plan.
How Many Times Will Cigna Pay For Rehab?
Generally, Cigna provides coverage for rehab treatment as long as it is medically necessary and meets the criteria for medical necessity. This means that if you meet the requirements for rehab treatment, you can receive coverage as many times as you need it.
However, the amount of coverage offered for rehab treatment may be subject to some limitations or restrictions. For instance, there can be a cap on the number of days or sessions covered annually or a specified dollar limit on the overall cost of rehab treatment.
Rehab Treatment and Insurance Statistics
- In 2020, Cigna reported that its telehealth utilization increased 44% for behavioral health services compared to the previous year.1
- The cost of behavioral care for Cigna's commercial medical clients accounted for over 30% of the company's healthcare expenses in the company's 2020 annual report.
- While the national rate rises, a Cigna Healthcare Program reduces opioid overdoses by 18%.2
- Although substance abuse and addiction are unquestionably serious issues in the United States, a report by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) revealed that up to 90% of those who require treatment fail to receive it.3
- According to a 2019 survey of addiction treatment providers, 43% of respondents said insurance coverage was the most significant obstacle for patients seeking treatment.4
Check Your Cigna Insurance Coverage With Virtue Recovery Center
If you’re committed to recovery, submit a request to one of our professional admission coordinators today using the form below. Before discussing the next steps, a coordinator will address any inquiries regarding our programs, including interacting directly with Cigna on your behalf to check your insurance coverage levels for drug or alcohol addiction rehab.
Using your Health Insurance Card, fill out all of the fields on the confidential form.
A member of our staff will contact your insurer to verify if your policy will cover your treatment
We will contact you promptly with the results of the verification and discuss the next steps
*Insurance Disclaimer: Virtue Recovery Center will attempt to verify your health insurance benefits and/or necessary authorizations on your behalf. Please note that this is only a quote of benefits and/or authorization. We cannot guarantee that payment or verification eligibility will be accurate and complete as conveyed by your health insurance provider. Payment of benefits is subject to all terms, conditions, limitations, and exclusions of the member’s contract at the time of service. Your health insurance company will only pay for services it determines to be “reasonable and necessary.” Virtue Recovery Center will make every effort to have all services preauthorized by your health insurance company. Suppose your health insurance company determines that a particular service is not reasonable and necessary or that a specific service is not covered under your plan. In that case, your insurer will deny payment for that service, and it will become your responsibility.
*Insurance Disclaimer: Virtue Recovery Center will attempt to verify your health insurance benefits and/or necessary authorizations on your behalf. Please note, this is only a quote of benefits and/or authorization. We cannot guarantee payment or verification eligibility as conveyed by your health insurance provider will be accurate and complete. Payment of benefits are subject to all terms, conditions, limitations, and exclusions of the member’s contract at time of service. Your health insurance company will only pay for services that it determines to be “reasonable and necessary.” Virtue Recovery Center will make every effort to have all services preauthorized by your health insurance company. If your health insurance company determines that a particular service is not reasonable and necessary, or that a particular service is not covered under your plan, your insurer will deny payment for that service and it will become your responsibility.
-  “The Cigna Group Company Profile.” Cigna, www.cigna.com/about-us/company-profile.Accessed 5 Apr. 2023.
-  Cigna Healthcare. “The Cigna Group History.” Cigna, www.cigna.com/about-us/company-profile/milestones#1981-1997. Accessed 5 Apr. 2023.
-  U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. “Health Benefits and Coverage: Mental Health and Substance Abuse Health Coverage Options.” HealthCare.gov, www.healthcare.gov/coverage/mental-health-substance-abuse-coverage. Accessed 5 Apr. 2023.
-  “Level of Mental Health Care.” Cigna, 2022, https://www.cigna.com/individuals-families/health-wellness/mental-health-care
-  Healthwise Staff. “Neuropsychological Tests.” Cigna, www.cigna.com/knowledge-center/hw/medical-tests/neuropsychological-tests-abk8683. Accessed 5 Apr. 2023.
-  Cigna Healthcare. “Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum Health Plans.” Cigna, www.cigna.com/knowledge-center/bronze-silver-gold-platinum-health-plans. Accessed 5 Apr. 2023.
-  Stilkind, Joseph. “Average Cost of Drug Rehab : By Type, State and More.” NCDAS, 1 Jan. 2023, drugabusestatistics.org/cost-of-rehab
-  Cigna Corporation. “One-year Impact of COVID-19: Surging Use of Virtual and Behavioral Health.” Cigna, 2021, www.cigna.com/static/www-cigna-com/docs/about-us/newsroom/innovation/cigna-covid-trends-factsheet-virtual-and-behavioral-health.pdf.
-  Cigna Healthcare. “Cigna Healthcare Program Reduces Opioid Overdoses by 18% While National Rate Soars.” Cigna Healthcare Newsroom, newsroom.cigna.com/cigna-program-reduces-opioid-overdoses. Accessed 5 Apr. 2023.
START YOUR RECOVERY TODAY!
Contact Virtue Recovery Center 24/7 for inpatient treatment near you