Do Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers Take United Healthcare Insurance?
Drug and alcohol rehab centers, including Virtue Recovery Center, may accept United Healthcare rehab coverage. The coverage details depend on several factors, including your specific policy and whether or not the provider is part of the United Healthcare rehab provider network. Below is all the information needed regarding United Healthcare rehab coverage and your path to sobriety.
Who is United Healthcare Group?
UnitedHealth Group is one of the largest healthcare companies in the world, with over 330,000 employees and a presence in more than 130 countries.1 United Healthcare Group provides a wide range of health products and services to individuals, employers, and government-sponsored programs with headquarters in Minnesota.
Founded in 1977, UnitedHealth Group operates through two primary business segments: United Healthcare and Optum. Through its United Healthcare segment, the company offers a variety of health insurance plans, including medical, dental, and vision coverage. It also provides health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, and other health-related financial products.
The Optum segment offers a range of services, including health management, consulting, and pharmacy benefit management. It also provides data analytics and technology solutions to help healthcare providers improve the quality of care and reduce costs.
What is United Healthcare Rehab Insurance Coverage?
United Healthcare rehab insurance coverage is part of its health benefits and usually includes coverage for substance abuse, mental health treatment, and behavioral health services. This can include coverage for United Healthcare in-network inpatient rehab or outpatient rehab programs, therapy, and medication-assisted treatment.
Does United Healthcare Cover Drug and Alcohol Rehab?
Yes, United Healthcare rehab coverage generally includes drug and alcohol treatment services as part of its health benefits plans. The plan's details, the state where the plan is provided, and other factors will determine the coverage terms and conditions.
United Healthcare alcohol rehab and United Healthcare drug rehab may include inpatient or outpatient services such as detoxification, therapy, and medication-assisted treatment. However, it's important to be aware that there can be exclusions or limitations on coverage, such as the number of permitted visits or the kinds of treatments covered. Also, remember that you may incur any potential out-of-pocket expenses like copays or deductibles.
Check Your United Healthcare Coverage for Addiction Treatment
Our admissions coordinators will interact directly with United Healthcare on your behalf, removing from your shoulders the burden of figuring out if your insurance will pay for your addiction treatment.
Does United Healthcare Cover Mental Health Rehab?
Many different programs and resources for mental and behavioral health are included under United Healthcare rehab coverage. Mental health rehab coverage may consist of inpatient or outpatient treatment for mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder, especially in the case of a dual diagnosis, as co-occurring mental and substance use disorders affect 7.7 million adults.1
Below is a partial list of the services that your United Healthcare mental health rehab coverage may include:
- Mental Health Testing, Assessments & Evaluations
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Emotional Support by Phone or Mobile App
- Family Counseling
- Support Groups
- Medication Management Services
- Virtual Services
- Prescription Drug Plans
- Wellness Programs
Inpatient and Outpatient Rehab Centers That Take United Healthcare Insurance
Virtue Recovery Center has been saving individuals from drug dependency and restoring families for years with many treatment locations in multiple states. The Joint Commission accredits all of our inpatient and outpatient facilities. We are also HIPAA compliant and members of the National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers (NAATP).
See below for a list and more information on all of our treatment centers:
How Much Does Rehab Cost With United Healthcare Insurance?
Your specific United Healthcare rehab coverage plan, treatment requirements, location, and other factors can affect the cost of rehab. Depending on the type of program and the level of care, the typical cost of rehabilitation can vary significantly. For instance, luxury treatment facilities may be more expensive than regular programs, and outpatient care may be less expensive than inpatient care.
For 30 days, an outpatient program (receiving care without being sent to the hospital) can cost between $1,400 and $10,000, which equates to almost $5700 monthly.2Again, however, these are estimates and can vary according to many factors.
How To Check My United Healthcare Insurance Coverage Levels for Rehab Treatment
Virtue Recovery Center is in-network with most major insurance plans. However, we understand the challenge of contacting insurance providers. Verify insurance coverage simply by filling out our no-obligation online form. Let our highly qualified staff members contact United Healthcare to verify your insurance coverage levels for rehab treatment.
In addition, we'll check what types of services are covered, the amount of coverage, any deductibles or copays, and any other limitations or exclusions. Then, we'll contact you as soon as possible to discuss your policy and go over the next steps.
With our help, contacting your insurance provider is no longer a hassle. We have the answer and details related to the common question: "Does United Healthcare cover rehab?" You are also guaranteed that any information you provide or discuss will be kept confidential.
How To Get United Healthcare To Pay For Rehab Treatment
There are several steps you can take to get United Healthcare to pay for rehab treatment:
- Review your insurance plan: Start by reviewing your insurance plan to determine the specifics of your coverage for rehab treatment. Virtue Recovery Center eliminates the difficulties and wait times associated with contacting your insurance provider yourself.
- Choose a provider: Look for a rehab center within the United Healthcare rehab provider network.
- Obtain pre-authorization: Depending on the plan and the specific rehab program, pre-authorization may be required before treatment begins. Virtue Recovery Center can help with this step.
- Provide necessary information: To obtain United Healthcare rehab coverage, you may need to provide certain information, such as a diagnosis from a healthcare provider, medical records, or treatment plans. Be prepared to provide any necessary documentation to support your claims.
- Follow the treatment plan: Follow treatment plans as prescribed by the rehab provider to ensure that United Healthcare will cover the services provided. Failure to follow the treatment plan may result in denial of coverage.
How Many Times Will United Healthcare Pay For Rehab?
Depending on your plan and individual needs, United Healthcare may cover rehab multiple times. Although, some plans may cap the covered number of rehab-related days annually. Others could provide limitless coverage, but they might also need pre-authorization or have additional requirements. Generally, United Healthcare rehab coverage may include many visits to a drug or alcohol recovery facility.
Rehab Treatment and Insurance Statistics
- In the United States, private health insurance plans like United Healthcare were the primary payer for around 24% of admissions to substance abuse treatment programs, according to a 2019 study by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).1
- According to SAMHSA's 2019 research, private health insurance plans paid an estimated $7.5 billion for services related to drug addiction treatment, or about 22% of the total amount spent on such treatment.
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) for opioid use disorder is now widely covered by insurance plans since it has been proven to be a successful treatment option for those who suffer from this condition.2
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services issued a regulation in 2020 requiring Medicaid and private health insurance plans to cover all medications approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating opioid use disorder.3
- Health insurance premiums generated about $188 billion in revenue for UnitedHealth Group in 2020. However, how much of that was from addiction treatment services is unknown.
- In 2018, the National Survey on Drug Use and Health reported that 33.1% of people who required substance use treatment did not receive any treatment, while just 10.3% received it in a specialty facility. Lack of insurance coverage was one of the biggest obstacles to receiving treatment.4
- According to a 2019 survey of addiction treatment providers, 43% of respondents said insurance coverage was the most significant obstacle for their patients seeking treatment.5
- As a result of the Medicaid expansion brought about by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), an estimated 4.5 million people with substance use disorders got mental health or substance use treatment services in 2019. Access to care has increased significantly, particularly for low-income people who didn’t have access to treatment options before the ACA went into effect.5
Check Your United Healthcare Insurance Coverage With Virtue Recovery Center
If you’re committed to recovery, submit a request to one of our professional admission coordinators today using the form below. Before discussing the next steps, a coordinator will address any inquiries regarding our programs, including interacting directly with United Healthcare on your behalf to check your coverage levels for drug or alcohol addiction rehab.
Using your Health Insurance Card, fill out all of the fields on the confidential form.
A member of our staff will contact your insurer to verify if your policy will cover your treatment
We will contact you promptly with the results of the verification and discuss the next steps
*Insurance Disclaimer: Virtue Recovery Center will attempt to verify your health insurance benefits and/or necessary authorizations on your behalf. Please note that this is only a quote of benefits and/or authorization. We cannot guarantee that payment or verification eligibility will be accurate and complete as conveyed by your health insurance provider. Payment of benefits is subject to all terms, conditions, limitations, and exclusions of the member’s contract at the time of service. Your health insurance company will only pay for services it determines to be “reasonable and necessary.” Virtue Recovery Center will make every effort to have all services preauthorized by your health insurance company. Suppose your health insurance company determines that a particular service is not reasonable and necessary or that a specific service is not covered under your plan. In that case, your insurer will deny payment for that service, and it will become your responsibility.
*Insurance Disclaimer: Virtue Recovery Center will attempt to verify your health insurance benefits and/or necessary authorizations on your behalf. Please note, this is only a quote of benefits and/or authorization. We cannot guarantee payment or verification eligibility as conveyed by your health insurance provider will be accurate and complete. Payment of benefits are subject to all terms, conditions, limitations, and exclusions of the member’s contract at time of service. Your health insurance company will only pay for services that it determines to be “reasonable and necessary.” Virtue Recovery Center will make every effort to have all services preauthorized by your health insurance company. If your health insurance company determines that a particular service is not reasonable and necessary, or that a particular service is not covered under your plan, your insurer will deny payment for that service and it will become your responsibility.
-  Swortel. “About Us - UHG.” UHG, 3 Mar. 2023, careers.unitedhealthgroup.com/about-us.
-  “Comorbidity: Substance Use and Other Mental Disorders | National Institute on Drug Abuse.” National Institute on Drug Abuse, 3 Feb. 2023, nida.nih.gov/research-topics/trends-statistics/infographics/comorbidity-substance-use-other-mental-disorders.
-  Stilkind, Joseph. “Average Cost of Drug Rehab : By Type, State and More.” NCDAS, 1 Jan. 2023, drugabusestatistics.org/cost-of-rehab.
-  U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and National Survey on Drug Use and Health. “2019 NSDUH Detailed Tables.” Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), 2019, www.samhsa.gov/data/report/2019-nsduh-detailed-tables.
-  “How Do Medications to Treat Opioid Use Disorder Work? | National Institute on Drug Abuse.” National Institute on Drug Abuse, 13 Apr. 2021, nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/medications-to-treat-opioid-addiction/how-do-medications-to-treat-opioid-addiction-work.
-  U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. “Access to Medications for Opioid Use Disorder (MOUD) Among Medicare Fee-for-Service Beneficiaries:: Influence of CARES Act Implementation (2020).” Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Jan. 2022, www.cms.gov/files/document/data-highlight-jan-2022-opiod.pdf.
START YOUR RECOVERY TODAY!
Contact Virtue Recovery Center 24/7 for inpatient treatment near you